Thursday, July 19, 2012

Working for KIPP Bay Area Schools



It is the summer before my senior year of high school. It's the last summer I am enjoying before I am faced with everything college related: SAT’s, college handbooks, personal statements, scholarships and more. The sun is pounding its rays onto the parks. The beach is screaming out my name.  Still, I am not in either of those locations. Why?  I have an awesome internship this summer!

My name is Lisa Huo I am a rising senior at KIPP King Collegiate High School. This summer I am working for the Development department at the KIPP Bay Area Schools Regional Support Office (KBAS RSO).  My position revolves around donors and their support of KIPP Bay Area Schools. I make sure that donors’ contact information and financial contributions are correctly filed.  Most importantly, I ensure that they are acknowledged by addressing thank you letters and updating their names into KIPP annual report. But that’s not it! I also had the opportunity to arrange interviews for RSO job applicants, and got an inside view into how KBAS runs.

Through this internship, I gained a valuable learning experience. I got the chance to further develop my speaking and writing skills.  Plus, I even went through an interview, which I am sure will come in handy when I apply for jobs, scholarships and even, college. So yeah, I didn’t soak up the sun or hang much with my friends this summer, but I did get paid, gained work experience and supported my school at the same time. Now, I can finally buy a camera! 

Thanks to the KBAS team for giving me this cool opportunity and teaching me the value of hard work.

No comments:

Post a Comment